Sunday 27 August 2017

A HIGH STREET DIARY

A couple of years ago I found myself annoyed by the lack of cleaning in Long Eaton High St. I tracked down a group of councillors at a Town Hall surgery. (these don't happen now in LE, sometimes though in Ilkeston) They made me welcome, offered coffee and listened to my complaints with sympathy, but little empathy as it turned out. They had a plan to walk through the town that very day and look at various things so I felt encouraged and left them to it. We know that local authorities need time to act sometimes so this year when I noticed the High St was even dirtier another complaint seemed appropriate. I selected six Cllrs. from the central area to contact. Emails seemed the first good move but two of the Cllrs use an awkward thing called a V card which led me nowhere so they were eliminated. Week 1, June 16th four emails sent, no replies. Week 2, a worker on a machine sprayed a lot of the town and the High St with weedkiller. Week 3, decided phoning would be better, two numbers were never answered but defaulted to voice mail, I see that as another blind alley but after a few attempts I actually spoke to a Cllr who apologised for not responding to my Email, his smart phone was under repair and he hadn't accessed his Email for a fortnight, would I send the message to another address? I did so, he mailed me back, very courteous and interested but nothing since. Week 4, 6th July I struck the lode. A different Cllr answered my call and was very concerned, would ask some questions of relevant people. Wonderful! During this same week I noticed a team of council workers cleaning along Tamworth. Was this the start of a town-wide campaign? And another call from the Cllr, words had been had and a meeting arranged for next week (5) Week 5 even more cleaning, near the railway station, 3 pickup trucks and many workers, cobblestones revealed where I had never noticed any before, 14th July I walked through an Eric Sykes sketch (it seemed) at Wyvern Ave where two council workers were still at it. One was blowing the last leaves around with a machine and the second was cleaning a litter bin using an aerosol and ;;; wait for it;;;; a pink wiper!! I phoned the Cllr and we shared the disbelief. I also learned that the official at the promised meeting would be "looking into it all". The Cllr had demanded a conclusive reply within a week. So that would run out about Week 7, the High St awaits. Week 8 2nd Aug, a quick text from the Cllr, away for a break, will be back on the case soon but no news, no input. Week 9 I am away to see Old London. The Tower is windswept, The Eye is rain-swept, Leicester Sq is well swept. Week 10 back to familiar surroundings. The High St is still there, the cigarette ends, the chewing gum and the weeds are fresh and green. The more so around the pigeon droppings.

Leopold Street

No comments:

Post a Comment