Saturday, 19 December 2020

PAYING OUT BUSINESS GRANTS

The roll-out of the latest support grants is continuing, with nearly £680,000 in total so far paid out to more than 500 businesses in Erewash hit by the financial impact of the pandemic. The council is working flat-out to process applications and get the money into the bank accounts of businesses as quickly as possible. This week Councillor Wayne Major, Erewash Borough Council’s Deputy Leader and Lead Member for Resources, sent a message to the local business community:

“We know some businesses have found it frustrating having to wait for their grants, but I can assure everyone that we are working as quickly as we can to issue this support – which we know is much needed by our small businesses. At the end of the day, this funding is taxpayers’ money and it is our duty and our responsibility to ensure all applications are properly checked and approved. The good news is the money is being rolled out and I would continue to urge eligible businesses to apply for support. We are here to help.”

 Since the start of the pandemic in March, nearly £21m of support in total has been awarded to businesses in the borough and a further £1m in discretionary grants to small businesses not eligible for other support – with that total now increasing daily as the council pays out the latest government-funded grants. The latest grants cover businesses affected by the recent national lockdown that ended on the 2 December and those that had to close or remained open but suffered serious financial impact under Tier 2 and Tier 3 restrictions. In addition, applications have opened giving businesses that do not pay business rates the opportunity to apply for an Additional Restrictions Grant. This is aimed at micro and small businesses in Erewash that have not previously been eligible for COVID-19 support. Details of all the grants available can be found at www.erewash.gov.uk and businesses are advised to register for a My Erewash business account at the website where full details of the grants’ criteria and online application forms are available.

Friday, 18 December 2020

CHURCH WILNE ROTARY CLUB

In the run up to Christmas, Church Wilne Rotary & its Satellite Club teamed up with Santa Claus to offer live video calls from the North Pole via Zoom to families around the local community.

The service was available at limited times over the weeks leading to Christmas. Rotary Satellite Chairman Adrian Perkins stated that “Due to the situation at the time the opportunity for Santa to get out & about was very limited. This gave Santa a chance to bring a smile to children’s faces whilst raising much needed Rotary funds for local causes.”

Thursday, 17 December 2020

RAVE WARNING

Officers are warning potential rave goers in Derbyshire that any groups will be dealt with robustly after plans for a gathering were reported in the north of the county. Information seen by officers shows a rave that had been planned to take place in Matlock Bath tomorrow, Friday 18th December.

Officers have spoken with the person understood to be organising the event and have given a clear warning that should the gathering go ahead then they will find themselves handed a £10,000 fine under the coronavirus legislation and prosecuted for other offences. Superintendent Claire Hammond, who is leading the operation to disrupt the gathering, said: “An event of this nature is an extremely dangerous proposition at the best of times – let alone in the middle of a pandemic and in the depths of winter.
“We know that there are significant numbers of people who have said they are going to attend this event and I want them to know that there is a dedicated policing operation that will find this event, shut it down and fine each and every person in attendance. And to the organiser of the event I say this – you will have your equipment seized, you will be handed a £10,000 fine and officers will look to pursue any and all other potential illegal activity.”

Illegal, unlicensed raves have the potential to be very dangerous, taking place in locations with limited access for emergency vehicles and often in areas that may have unseen drops, mine shafts and deep water. Superintendent Hammond said: “We all have our part to play in preventing the spread of COVID-19 and we appreciate your support in stopping illegal raves from taking place.
“We are reminding parents and carers that if you believe your child is planning to go to such a gathering, please speak to them and discourage them from attending. Landowners are also reminded of their responsibility to contact the police if they suspect an illegal rave is being set up on their land.”

If you have any information about illegal raves which you want to pass on to us, you can get in touch via the following methods:

Facebook – send us a private message to /DerbyshireConstabulary
Twitter – direct message our contact centre on @DerPolContact
Website – complete the online contact form www.derbyshire.police.uk/Contact-Us.
Phone – call us on 101.

Monday, 14 December 2020

DISTRACTION BURGLARY

Nottinghamshire Police has warned residents to remain vigilant following an incident which saw a man enter a house and steal money from an 89-year-old woman. The man knocked on the victim's door in Stapleford and asked for some money to pay for the electric. He said his wife had left with the bank card and needed some cash. The vulnerable victim went upstairs to get her purse, leaving the man at the door. On her return the man had entered the house uninvited. The victim opened her purse, with the intention of giving him £10, but the offender reached in and took £20 from her. Detectives investigating the incident have reminded the public of their rights when it comes to unexpected callers.

Detective Inspector Kim Binns is leading the investigation into the distraction burglary. She said: "Sadly an 89-year-old woman was conned out of money on 30th November 2020 and she's obviously feeling very upset and shocked following the incident. We were called to the same house in Lower Park Street in Stapleford on Saturday 12th December 2020 in a second incident, where again a man was asking for money. It is unclear at this time whether this is the same man and the matter is under investigation. Thankfully this time the victim rang the police and didn't have any money stolen.”

Saturday, 12 December 2020

STANTON BREAKTHROUGH

A 70-hectare site at Stanton that has been derelict for years has been sold with plans to transform the land and create local jobs for local people. Erewash Borough Council has welcomed the news that land owner Saint-Gobain PAM UK Ltd has agreed the sale with Verdant Ltd – a new company formed by local businesses Ward Recycling and Trust Utilities. The land in question is the northern side of Low’s Lane at Stanton and the sale is seen as a major breakthrough for the Stanton Regeneration Site, which has long been identified by the council as one of the biggest redevelopment opportunities in the borough. This week, Council Leader, Councillor Carol Hart, said the sale was a major step forward and good news that things are now moving on with the landmark site:      

“This is very much a first step and we will work with Verdant as they prepare their proposals for the site. We are talking about two local businesses taking control of a site that has been derelict for so long and with the desire to create employment – jobs for local people. That has got to be good.”

 Her comments were backed by Councillor Michael Powell, the council’s Lead Member for Regeneration and Planning: “We are not talking about the whole of the Stanton site and there will be planning processes to go through - but this is a large-scale area and its development would help meet our ambitions for job creation. We have worked so hard over the years to put a masterplan together for Stanton and I am absolutely delighted that at last we have some positive news that things are moving on.”

 Ward Recycling and Trust Utilities are both Erewash-based companies and say they look forward to a new era working as Verdant Ltd to create further local employment opportunities. A statement from Verdant Regeneration Ltd said that the company is a joint venture by two local Ilkeston business owners. “The Grier and Ward families have invested private funds to acquire the site and are excited about the future for the old Stanton Ironworks – to be renamed as ‘New Stanton Park’,’ it said. David Ward, for Verdant Regeneration Ltd, added:

“We are honoured to be able to try and restore this local landmark to a modern and   environmentally sustainable site for the future. It has a wonderful past and we hope will now have a prosperous future which will bring back rail connectivity, employment and opportunity to local people which is desperately needed in these difficult times.”