Wednesday, 22 May 2024

MAGGIE WELCOMES INFECTED BLOOD SCHEME

 Maggie welcomes the launch of the Government’s Infected Blood Compensation Scheme. Maggie Throup OBE MP, Member of Parliament for Erewash has welcomed the launch of the Government’s Infected Blood Compensation Scheme, to compensate victims of the Infected Blood Scandal – a tragedy that has deeply impacted many lives. The Infected Blood Scandal, a catastrophic failure that should never have occurred, has finally been addressed following the findings of Sir Brian Langstaff’s Infected Blood Inquiry. In response to the Inquiry's report, the Prime Minister, Rt Hon Rishi Sunak MP, issued a heartfelt and unequivocal apology on behalf of successive Governments dating back to the 1970s, acknowledging the long struggle for justice endured by the victims and their families. 

Recognising the urgent need for justice, the Minister for the Cabinet Office, Rt Hon John Glen MP, announced an additional £210,000.00 interim payment for individuals already registered on existing support schemes. The Government has committed to ensuring that the first victims will receive their final compensation payments before the end of the year. All those affected by the scandal will be eligible to claim compensation under this new scheme. The Government has pledged to cover all costs necessary to deliver this scheme and to prevent such a tragedy from ever happening again. 

Maggie said: “I fully endorse Sir Brian Langstaff’s report and commend the incredible courage and determination of the victims and their families, including several from Erewash, who have fought for justice for far too long. I am pleased that the Government is establishing the Infected Blood Compensation Authority to oversee the compensation process. Those directly or indirectly infected by NHS blood, blood products, or tissue contaminated with HIV, Hepatitis C, or those who developed chronic infections from blood contaminated with Hepatitis B, will be eligible to claim compensation under this scheme. The Government now has a duty to reassure the public that today’s NHS blood and blood- related products are safe. I am also urging the Government to commission a comprehensive review of the safeguards within the blood products industry to guarantee that such failures can never happen again.” 

This significant step forward marks a pivotal moment in delivering long awaited justice to the victims and restoring public confidence in the safety of NHS blood products. Information about the compensation scheme can be found on the Infected Blood Compensation Authority’s website here. 


LONG EATON CARNIVAL

Revellers have just days left to enter a float in Erewash’s biggest carnival parade – as the borough council confirmed the annual road closures. The theme for this year’s Long Eaton spectacular is “That’s Entertainment”. Carnival weekend kicks off on Friday 7th June with live music from 7pm to 10pm in the town’s West Park. The big parade is on Saturday 8 June when it sets off from the park at 11am before arriving back there around an hour and a half later. A spokesman said: “This is when the carnival officially starts – and the best bit is that it is free.” Sunday will see the weekend of fun continue with park events including a car boot sale. The organising committee’s chairman Pete Smith said: “We’re actually a week earlier this year to avoid clashing with the revellers at Download – not that we’re competing for headliners.” 

The carnival was first held 93 years ago – and its jokey slogan is “Bringing chaos to Long Eaton since 1931”. 

It is staged by dedicated volunteers who devote a year to planning and fundraising. With the deadline for entering floats looming, a plea has also gone out for more local people to sign up as stewards and marshals. A member of the Long Eaton Community Carnival Association confirmed: “We’re always looking for additional hands and helpers, acts, businesses and organisations who might want to be involved on the day and in the lead up to it.”The deadline to enter floats is Friday 24 May. More information, including how to volunteer, can be found at the carnival’s website here: Long Eaton Carnival – Bringing Long Eaton people together as a community 

The road closures from 11am to 1.30pm will be on a rolling basis – with routes reopening to traffic once the Community Carnival Parade passes. The roads are: 

Wilsthorpe Road (B6002) from the entrance to West Park event field to its junction with Tamworth Road (Long Eaton Railway Station). 

Thoresby Road – in its entirety. 

Tamworth Road (B6540) from its junction with Wilsthorpe Road (Long Eaton Railway Station) to its junction with the Market Place. 

Market Place – in its entirety. 

Monday, 20 May 2024

LEISURE CENTRES

A Total of more than £3million is set to be invested in Erewash’s leisure centres – thanks to the borough council working tirelessly to clinch yet another mega grant. The sum emerged hot on the heels of an announcement that Ilkeston’s Victoria Park Leisure Centre is in line for a £550,139 boost. That money is from what is known as the Swimming Pool Support Fund, which includes Lottery funding. The council has now followed up by securing even more cash from a different source – meaning an extra £2,601,000 is poised to be spent on making both Ilkeston’s leisure centre and the one at Long Eaton’s West Park more eco friendly. The newly-revealed grant is from a government fund aimed at reducing carbon emissions from publicly-owned buildings. 

Erewash has been awarded £2,263,750. Under the deal – which is expected to lead to ongoing savings in energy costs – a £337,250 contribution must be found by the council. Half of the required contribution will come from Parkwood Leisure, which has  a contract with the authority to run the leisure centres. The council will be working closely with Parkwood Leisure and its Legacy Leisure arm to see tight delivery schedules for the improvements are met. 

The company’s regional director Francois Smit said: “I am delighted to hear that Erewash Council has secured a significant £3million in funding to upgrade our leisure centres. The money will be invested into making our centres more eco friendly as we continue our collaborative journey alongside the council in reducing emissions at sites.” 

Erewash council leader James Dawson said: “The money we have succeeded in winning from not just one but two funds on behalf of the people of Erewash means there is a total of £3,151,139 of investment. Not only does this underline the council’s commitment to reducing its carbon footprint, it means we can start getting our leisure centres into great shape in terms of a greener future.” 

Sunday, 19 May 2024

COMPOST BIN DEAL

Residents are being urged to do their bit for the planet as part of a new campaign launched by Erewash council – which includes a half-price home compost bin deal. The council has teamed up with getcomposting.com to help households make good use of kitchen and garden waste by turning it into a valuable and nutrient-rich food for flowers and veg patches. Half of the food waste in the average rubbish bin could have been composted, according to research. A 220 litre compost converter bin normally costs £30.84 but local people can get one for £14.20 (plus £6.99 delivery). A larger 330 litre version that sells for £43.24 will cost residents just £19.90 (plus £6.99 delivery). Buyers will also receive a small guide on how to get composting. The offer is limited to one bin per household – with a total of 1,000 available to Erewash residents. It comes as the council launches a new nature-friendly intitiative called Wild about Erewash, which aims to be kinder to the environment. Councillor Mark Alfrey, Erewash’s Lead Member for Environment, said: “Composting at home for just one year can save global warming gases equivalent to all the CO2 your kettle produces annually, or your washing machine produces in three months. Home composting is a simple way for residents to reduce unnecessary waste. It saves energy, money and precious natural resources.” 

The compost bins are made in the UK from recycled plastic and come with a minimum five-year guarantee. To order one visit: Home Composting (erewash.gov.uk) 


 

Saturday, 18 May 2024

NEW MAYOR OF EREWASH

NEW Mayor of Erewash Kate Fennelly is a proud mum with a passion for horses – after working as a show rider in her youth at the American Adventure theme park. The keen equestrian has fond memories of the Wild West attractions near Ilkeston. She was even invited to appear on Blue Peter before the white knuckle rides closed in 2007 after almost two decades. Kate went on to join the RAF – and was selected to represent the air force in the international military horse team. After seeing service in the Falklands and Germany she now works as a driving instructor and is councillor for Hallam Fields. Kate was born in Derby. Her family lived in Sandiacre before settling in Ilkeston, where her mother Margaret became a well-known figure in the town. Margaret sadly passed away 12 years ago. Kate is a former pupil at Field House who later attended Hallam Fields and Cantelupe schools. She studied at South East Derbyshire College before her theme park job. Her father Paul ran a very successful repair garage until his retirement.  Kate and fellow councillor Mark Alfrey are Erewash Borough Council’s Armed Forces champions. She has a love for military history, especially the Dambusters. As well as being an active member of the local Royal British Legion, Kate does volunteer work for the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. She is a life member of the Friends of Bennerley Viaduct.  

Kate has chosen as her Mayor’s charity the recently-established Forces Veterans Afloat Charitable Trust – which provides canal boats for homeless ex-service personnel to live in. She will also be supporting a combination of good causes in the form of the Mayor’s charity fund. Her son Mason, 15, will be acting as Mayor’s Consort during her year of office. Kate said proudly: “He is the youngest person ever to have held the title in Erewash. 

A delegation from a Royal Navy helicopter unit that the council has close links to was at Long Eaton Town Hall when Kate was presented with her official chain on Thursday, 16th May. This was so the members of 814 Naval Air Squadron – alias the Flying Tigers – could be granted the Freedom of the Borough to mark the 50th anniversary of the council. 

PICTURED: Cllr Harry Atkinson – now Erewash’s new Deputy Mayor – is presented with top Scout Award in January ‘ambush’ at town hall. The then Mayor Cllr Frank Phillips is seen next to Cllr Kate Fennelly, who has inherited the chain of office  

Erewash Borough Council has got a new Mayor – plus a Deputy Mayor who is just 24 and the youngest ever. Freshly-installed civic head Cllr Kate Fennelly will be assisted over the coming year by Cllr Harry Atkinson. Kate was voted in as Mayor after a year serving as Deputy Mayor to long-serving councillor Frank Phillips, whose term of office has come to an end during what is the  golden anniversary of the council and borough. Harry, who will perform civic duties as Kate’s stand-in, said proudly: “It is a great honour to serve in such a prestigious role. I am over the moon.” 

The council’s youthful new look does not end there. Harry devotes his spare time to the Scouts – and will be enlisting civic-minded members of the local troop to help him in his new duties. Meanwhile Kate’s official Mayoral aide, known as the Mayor’s Consort, is also the youngest ever. She has chosen her son Mason – who is 15. Kate, who served in the RAF, will continue to act as the council’s Armed Forces Champion. She said: “I pay tribute to the fantastic job my predecessor has done as Mayor and look forward to continuing his great work. Mason is thrilled too. Only two mayoral consorts across the whole of the country have ever been younger.” 

The chain of office was handed to her at Long Eaton Town Hall as she and Harry attended the council’s Annual Meeting on Thursday 16th May. The honour for the young councillor comes four months after he was “ambushed” by family and friends who were smuggled into Ilkeston Town Hall to present him with two top awards from the Scouts movement. They hid outside the chamber before bursting in as a meeting got under way. The delegation of around a dozen included members of Long Eaton Scouts and Sawley Explorer Scouts – which Harry has devoted his spare time to as a youth commissioner. 

He was presented with the movement’s highest honour – the King’s Scout Award – as family including his parents and grandparents looked on proudly. It was handed to him by District Commissioner Catherine Halls-Jukes and is the first such badge won locally since the coronation of King Charles. Councillors applauded as Harry also received a coveted Scout of the World Award for helping to raise £27,000 for the local troop to instal solar panels. Harry represents Sawley as one of Erewash’s youngest councillors. Cllr Phillips, who as Mayor was presiding over the meeting, said: “We kept the presentation a secret and he had no idea what was about to happen.” New Mayor Kate is councillor for Hallam Fields. Like her predecessor Cllr Phillips she is proud to work closely with the local branch of the Royal British Legion.